Saturday, October 28, 2017

A Gentleman - By Senior Blog Author: Sharron M.



   We are in a world where woman have become more outspoken and vocal about their equality with men. Women have become more independent, they don't need men to do anything for them: carry bags/boxes, open doors, etc.

   Women don't realize that when they turn their noses up at what is considered "gentlemanly behavior" they are becoming more distant from the things that make them unique or different from men.

   While I believe in a woman's importance, I think we shouldn't take away the opportunity for men to express themselves in a way that is Biblical and Gentlemanly.

   The Bible talks about how men should treat women:


I Peter 3:7
Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.


Ephesians 5:24

 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Colossians 3:19
 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.

    Yes, I know the verses are talking about how husbands should treat their wives. Yet that is what boys and young men grow up to be.

   The other day, I happened to be outside a store door when a young woman holding a baby girl in one arm and clinging to the hand of her little boy approached the door. A man happened to be standing near by, and wasted no time in opening the door for her and her children. She said "Thank you", and then told her son, "That man opened the door for us because he is a gentleman."

   I was floored by the simple lesson she had taught her son. This young lady was teaching her son that a gentleman opens doors so that her son will know what a gentleman does. She was teaching her son what kind of a man he should be. And even though her daughter was too young to understand, she also showed how a lady should act with a gentleman. Instead of turning her nose up and saying she was an empowered woman who was capable of opening her own door, she was polite and thanked him.

   What a lesson to learn!
  
   What are your thoughts on it? Do you think it is old-fashioned for men to open doors for women? I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave me a comment!





No comments:

Post a Comment