It had been a fast-paced, breath catching, agonizingly long day. I had worked a 10 hr. shift and now I was at the store shopping for groceries for tomorrow, with housework and meal preparation waiting at home for me.
I was tired. As I got into line at the check-out register, I noticed a little girl sitting perched in the cart. This tiny toddler flashed me a whimsical smile as she swung her legs back and forth. Blonde ponytails bounced against her shoulder.
Her parents were busy chatting to her, and to each other as they pulled things from their cart to put on the conveyors belt.
A little balloon with flowers caught the little girl's attention and she pointed at it, making her request known to her parents.
Her mom smiled, "You already had a balloon for your Birthday!"
The little girl shook her head solemnly. "It broken."
"You mean that it fell off its stem," chimed in her father, "It is okay, you still have the balloon."
The little girl became more insistent, "I want the balloon."
In effort to distract her, her mother said, "You got brand new shoes today, aren't they cute?"
Apparently, their young daughter was in agreement for she swung her feet again and admired the shoes that were glimmering pink with little bows at the top. "Pretty shoes," she chirped to herself. She looked up at her parents that had returned the business at hand of purchasing their selected items. "My pretty shoes," she said again, obviously hoping to garnish an equally enthusiastic response. Her parents made no response. She watched them a moment and then began looking around. Her eyes met mine and she smiled brightly all the while pointing to her new footwear. "My shoes. Look!"
At this, both parents turned to see who their daughter was talking to.
I smiled at the little girl and nodded. My demure response only seemed to encourage her. "Pretty shoes." She beckoned me, "Come see."
Her parents exchanged half amused, half embarrassed smiles that their daughter was conversing a with a complete stranger. Her mother tried to salvage the situation but chattering brightly about her pretty and pink the shoes were, but the little girl was still looking at me. "Come see my shoes," she called again, her cheeks growing plump with another smile.
I stepped forward and bent to look at the shoes, "They are beautiful! What a pretty pink, and look! They have beautiful bows too."
The little girl grinned back at me, and smiles had replaced any previous signs of embarrassment on her parents' faces.
They departed then, the little girl waving good-bye.
I looked after them reflectively. This young child had been joyous over the gift that her parents had given her, and she had wanted to share that joy with others. It made me realize how important it is to share the good gifts that our Heavenly Father gives us. with others. We shouldn't be quiet and keep to ourselves something that could bring peace and happiness to others.
I just want to encourage my readers, to share their joys with others. It really is a simple, and encouraging gesture.
I will close now, but once again, I want to thank you for reading. Have a blessed day!

No comments:
Post a Comment