As you can see, my plan didn't quite work out as I intended it to, but what can you expect from a eight year old? :)
I love reading now! I do it daily, it has become one of my favorite hobbies. I am really glad that my mom was persistent.
As a teacher myself, I have helped numerous struggling young readers. Here are five tips that have helped me make progress with frustrated readers:
- Ease off the pressure. Children learn to read at different rates, forcing them to become fluent in reading now only serves to frustrate the child further. Let them learn at their rate, this doesn't mean that there should be no challenge, but if the child is not ready to move onto the next step, stay with it until they are.
- Let the child choose books that interest them, they are more likely to enjoy reading and want to learn if the material interests them.
- Read to them and have older siblings read to them as well. Children learn a lot just by watching parents and older siblings model skills.
- Have your child help read, write, and copy grocery lists, directions, their name, basic information, colors, etc.
- Phonics is really important (sounds that the letters make), make sure you invest in a good program that teaches this skill thoroughly. I personally like Abeka Books.
Don't let reading become frustrating. If it becomes increasingly difficult, take a break. Try a different and easier activity. Reading can be done during the time of day that you have noticed your child doing best in their studies. Lead up to reading with a fun activity, and follow up with another easy activity. Planning those difficult lessons between easier ones is rewarding, and it really works.
What about you? What have you noticed works best? How do you get your child to read?
No comments:
Post a Comment